Monday, July 11, 2011

100 years

When it comes to birthdays most of us dread them after a certain age.  Though I'm sure there comes a time where you just don't mind anymore. (Note, that I am not there yet but anyways...) About 8 months or so ago, Ellen asked if I would assist in planning her aunt's 100th birthday.  How could I not say YES!  This is usually a once-in-a-lifetime event, and to top it off, Lena and I share the same birthday.  

We celebrated this past Saturday at the Arbors in Manchester. Lena was surrounded by family, friends and her best friend Barbara who is 95.  These ladies have been friends since they were in their 20's.  Lena may be 100 but shows no real signs of slowing down and I started thinking what would I want to have accomplished if I'm lucky enough to reach 100. 

I'm not looking for fame or fortune, since I feel fortunate enough being able to have a job that I love.  It gives me great joy and I don't see ever really stopping this one side of me. So what else do I want by 100...

Well, I would like to know that I've raised my children to be the best gentlemen they can be.  To have love for life, to never expect to be given anything but appreciative of what they have and I hope they find something that drives them forward in life.  I also hope we will be able to talk with each other (mind you we aren't in real teenage years yet, I'm sure there will be a time I don't wish to speak to them...lol), enjoy a lunch or dinner together and I want to see what drives them.  My biggest wish is that I have raised two boys who will be the best of friends to each other, realizing that there will be times they will fight but at the end of the day, they need to make sure they still stand by each other.  I don't want to teach them to compare themselves to each other ever but just enjoy who they will grow up to be. `

In this full life I plan to continue leading means, of course, a set of good friends. I don't need many, just good ones.  I find such great pleasure in sitting around a nice campfire, with margaritas in hand discussing the old times, laughing and just enjoying time off.

I will continue to enjoy helping couples start a new chapter in their lives. I love seeing not only my couples enjoy their wedding but the rest of their lives.  They become Facebook friends, and I love seeing where their married lives take them.  Not sure if it will be Facebook or Google+ by the time I reach 100 but I hope I still understand how to use the programs. 

In these upcoming years I would like to find the best way to carry my phone with me at weddings.  You may think this is odd but most dresses don't have pockets, a fanny pack isn't going to happen so this means the phone in my bra strap most of the time. While I could go with a headset and it clipped somewhere on my body, I don't really want to look like a gap employee.

Last of all, I hope to continue to always know how to love and be loved. :)

So tomorrow I have the pleasure of not only sharing my birthday with Lena who turns 100 but also with my father.  There has never been a time I didn't enjoy sharing my birthday with him. (Okay I think when he turned 68 and my mother planned an army camouflage party, but besides that one time, I've always loved it)  I plan on looking at each birthday as a moment to reflect, not regret and to see what I can accomplish next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment